Thursday, September 07, 2006

the side trips 3: more south east asia







The Mekong delta, taken last year when I went with Ian and Yasser to the area from Saigon





After Saigon the plans become a little vaguer. I have allowed plenty of time for travel in SE Asia but will probably not pre-book much and just go as the fancy takes me. I will probably travel up the Mekong to Phnomh Penh, then across country to Thailand. Having spent a little bit of time on the river when there in November 2005, I think this could be a rewarding experience. From then on it's anyon'e guess for a while. I certainly intend to spend some time learning scuba diving then putting it into practice, and this might be somewhere like Phuket. I would also like to visit northern Thailand and the cross into Laos.
It's possible to rejoin the Mekong near the Thai border and travel up to Luang Prabang , the world heritage site in northern Laos, in about 2 days; then perhaps a few days trekking would be a good plan.
Mel urged me to go to KL for Chinese New Year, because he and others will be there then, so that's another possibility...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home