Wednesday, August 30, 2006

the side trips 2: south east asia



This is a picture of me in Saigon at New Year 2 years ago. On the menu, scorpions, some sort of local rodents and worms - mmmmm! I believe I stuck to the pork though I did try the giant snails on a later occasion. In fact, the food is really good there, with lots of salads and spicy barbecues.



The next phase will be in Thailand and Vietnam over Christmas and New Year, when I am hoping to meet up with Yasser, Ian and Mo, joining us from Singapore. We will be in Jomtien and Bangkok, then later Hanoi and Hoi An in Vietnam, where we are hoping to stay in the newly opened hotel the Nam Hai. We hope it will be ready in time - it's on a soft opening at reduced prices, but this is going to be quite special as Ian will be celebrating his 50th birthday.
When Ian and Yasser leave I am going to travel on to Saigon by rail and then I hope up the Mekong to Phnomh Penh in Cambodia.
I've stayed in Vietnam the last 2 years with Sean, who's amazingly friendly and good at showing people around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Keith
Angelo and I are green with envy about your trip and I am already starting to plan one -- I think I am allowed to as I turned FIFTY recently which means I can do all sorts of things that I want to now. (By the way my comment is listed as by McDonald which is some kind of account name given me by Google). We are off to Mexico (Yucatan) for Christmas so I think we will unfortuntaely not cross paths. Last year we were in Rio and can give you some tips for there -- such as the best beach umbrella stand is Miriam's at no. 16 on Ipanema. We are off to Marfa Texas this week for Thanksgiving, it is an art colony set up in the 70s and nowhere near the Bush compound. Happy travels! Andrew

1:28 am, November 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home